When you’re exercising during pregnancy it’s even more important that you choose the right kit – well-fitting maternity activewear should be an essential part of your maternity wardrobe.
Here are some ideas to take into consideration when you’re deciding what maternity gym clothes you need
- A baggy t-shirt and drawstring trousers won’t motivate you to exercise – looking good makes you feel good too! Lots of women struggle with their body image during pregnancy, wearing flattering clothes is a real confidence boost
- Avoid clothes that restrict your movement and especially ones that feel tight on your baby bump or have an elastic waistband that fits around your belly
- Keep your bump supported whilst you exercise – it will make you feel much more comfortable and secure. Maternity activewear that holds and supports your baby bump is well worth the extra cost – it’s a bit like wearing a proper sports bra!
- Choose maternity activewear that is best suited for your preferred activity. High impact exercise such as running will need more support for your baby bump than yoga or walking
- Your core body temperature increases when you’re pregnant – if you find you sweat more now you’re pregnant, it’s simply your body’s way of keeping you cooler. Avoid clamminess during your pregnancy exercise session by choosing moisture-wicking maternity gym clothes which will help draw sweat away from your body, keeping you cool and fresh
- Choose pregnancy activewear that’s designed to fit throughout your pregnancy, stretching to fit right up until your baby is born. Gymwear that includes a high level of elastane will stretch without the need for uncomfortable drawstrings, or expanding panels!
- If you can wear your pregnancy workout clothes after your baby is born it’s an added bonus! Good quality maternity fitnesswear will regain its shape and look just as good to wear whilst you regain your pre-baby body
- Make sure you support your bigger breasts too! It’s important that your sports bra fits properly. You might find it’s more comfortable to have additional bra support built into your maternity gym top
- Avoid bump breeze! It’s off-putting if your maternity activewear top rides up when you stretch up! Choose a top that’s long enough to fit under your bump and maternity exercise leggings that are cut to fit right over your bump. You don’t want your leggings to fall down when you bend down either – which can be a risk if they stop short half way up your baby bump!
- Don’t neglect the right shoes and socks either! Your feet can swell up so give them some extra comfort with cushioned socks and well-fitting trainers – you might need to buy a bigger size