So, you’ve decided you want an active, fit pregnancy – that’s great news!
Next step is to make sure you stay safe during your pregnancy workouts! Whilst experts recommend that all healthy women should aim for 30 minutes exercise on at least 5 days a week it’s important to be aware of the changes in your body and moderate your pregnancy workout – whether you’re exercising in the gym or attending a pregnancy exercise class, running during pregnancy, practising prenatal yoga or simply enjoying a brisk daily walk.
Top ten tips for safe pregnancy exercise
- Listen to your body – if your pregnancy workout feels too intense slow down or stop.
- Don’t overdo it – if you’re not used to exercising regularly start with 15-20 minutes a day and build up your strength. Aim for half an hour a day
- Stay hydrated! Keep a water bottle handy and take regular sips
- Stay cool! Expectant mums can overheat quite easily so exercise outdoors if possible and wear moisture-wicking clothes
- Carry on talking! Don’t exercise beyond the level where you’re too tired to speak.
- Dress comfortably. Choose stretchy well-fitting maternity activewear that supports your bump and breasts
- Avoid lying on your front after the first trimester and avoid lying on your back after 12 weeks
- Stay fuelled – don’t exercise on an empty stomach and keep a few energy snacks handy – a banana, dried fruit or nuts are ideal
- Warm up before you start and cool down afterwards
- Check with your doctor or midwife if you have any concerns about exercise and what’s best for you
Need more advice? Click here!